The knowledge in this page may not be accessible to the average character, as it may not be common knowledge.
Please consider if your character would know this knowledge first before using it in roleplay.
Author Note: Gotongi can be found in some warm worlds with an ECF higher than 1.
|A group of gotongi.|
|Worlds with higher than average ECF.|
|Can be enthralled by a psion or domesticated through normal means.|
|Gotongi vitreus humor|
Gotongi are small, odd floating eyeball creatures. Normally, they are fairly uninteresting eusocial creatures that work in colonies- however, their psionic abilities have piqued the interest of evokers, who have learned how to enthrall them under their service in order to use their unique abilities for their own gain, turning them into valuable scouting tools.
Gotongi appear as hovering eyeballs, their main body an organ reminiscent of an eyeball; inside the eyeball is a simple nervous system and other small organs it uses. The eyeball is able to split in order to form a mouth, which it uses to feed on small plants such as leaves. Many gotongi also have a red, stringy tissue attached to them; this is the remnants of their stalk from before they detached from their colony, eventually falling off.
Gotongi colonies appear as writhing masses of eyeballs, with each individual gotongi acting as a 'bulb' growing from a central mass of plant-like tissue. These colonies can range significantely in size, from some being very small to a rare few taking up the space of entire caverns.
Gotongi are fairly simple animals on their own, but show complex behavior as a colony; they are eusocial and form a telepathic bond with their colony's central mass, sending visual sensory input to the main colony, and receiving basic commands in the form of telepathic signals that seemingly have no known range. They are herbivorous creatures, consuming plant matter for their own survival and returning food back to the colony so that it can eat and grow.
In large numbers, gotongi can act as pests, destroying crops and other local plant life if a large colony manages to grow. In addition, they are very adaptable, being able to thrive as a colony in places that aren't too freezing and have an ECF of 1 cuil or higher. On their own, gotongi are easily frightened and avoid confrontation- even upon being looked at will they typically flee. However, they possess a fairly sharp bite that they will use to defend their colony, making the clearing of large colonies a dangerous task.
The gotongi life cycle is simple; the main colony grows buds of gotongi from itself, which eventually grow large enough to detach from their colony and roam on their own in order to provide for the colony. They live fairly short lives, surviving only around a year before dying. Gotongi don't provide many useful products since they are very lightweight, but their vitreus humerus- which is really just a clear gel-like substance that nutrients can easily flow through- can be used in certain metapharmaceuticals that affect sight.
Gotongi absorb oxygen and moisture through a mucous membrane that acts as their skin, as they do not have a circulatory system. This makes them suspecptible to certain types of poison.
Enthrall AbilityA psion that enthralls a gotongi will receive this ability while the enthrallment lasts. Remember to list this ability on your psion app until the enthrallment stops.
Ability Name: Eyes Without a Face
Subjects Used: Neuroinvasion, ESP
Description: The enthrallment curse hijacks the gotongi's psychic sight, forming a telepathic connection with you instead of its colony. Evokers use gotongis as cheap and disposable psychic scouts using their vision.
- Over the course of a turn, you can look through the sight of an enthralled gotongi. The effectiveness of the sight depends on your ESP aptitude, allowing you to see through it clearly (full aptitude), see clearly but replacing your own vision (-1), or see without color and replacing your own vision (-2).
- You can command the gotongi telepathically while you are using its sight, commanding it to move in a certain way, attach itself to a surface, or simply to move how it normally would such as to gather food. It is fairly unintelligent on its own, can't manipulate objects, and is too cowardly to attack anyone that isn't directly attacking you.
- Each enthralled gotongi reduces your maximum flux by [-5%/-7%/-9%/-12%/-15% (neuroinvasion)] depending on your neuroinvasion aptitude.
- The enthrallment's sway isn't powerful enough to overcome the gotongi's primal cowardice. If the gotongi is directly observed by someone other than the evoker, it will attempt to flee.
- If a gotongi observes someone for over a minute, they will feel the slight uncanny feeling of being watched.
- If the gotongi is killed while you are using its sight, you immediatelly suffer highly painful migraines and are unable to see through another gotongi for five minutes. Gotongi are fairly fragile and will die to most attacks that are stronger than a simple swat or punch.
- If you do not have full ESP aptitude, you cannot use your own vision while using the gotongi's.
How It Works: By concentrating on the bond between a gotongi and its evoker, they can see through its own eyes.